CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 18, 2010

I *heart* Big Families-- and a Question For YOU!

~~~
Well, not too long ago a fellow blogger left a comment asking a question, and I thought it would be fun to answer her question by doing a blog post.

This was her question,
"My husband and I are thinking about our future family...and I was wondering...what do you think of the big family??? And homeschooling for that matter?"

I absolutely LOVE getting this type of question!
I guess it's because I'm opinionated about this one. :)

Well, I love big families, and God does too. :)
Psalm 127:3
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.
I think being in a big family is the reason I don't like being by myself. I get lonely so fast, and I start missing them almost as soon as I leave the house. Each of us are so close, and being in a big family is like having lots of built in best friends. :)

I think that most people who aren't used to big families think that the more children you have, the less attention each child gets, but I have to say, that is definitely not true.
Jessie, my youngest sister who is 19 months, is so loved, and a bit spoiled. ;)
She is constantly being held, or played with by one of her 7 big sibilings.

Another thing that I absolutely love about all my siblings is that they're helping  train me to be a momma one day.
I can probably change a diaper in 6.5 seconds. Although I bet Kimmi, my 12-year-old sister, could do it in 2 seconds flat!! hehee Really though, she's amazing and being a great blessing to our mom.
It has also given me such a love for children.
I don't really know if that's from having lots of brothers and sisters, or just built in though. :)

I heart big families!!

As for homeschooling, It's great, and I love it!
I think one of the best things about homeschooling is just how protected I've been.
I'm still very protected, and I am truly thankful to my parents for that!

One huge protection that is given from homeschooling is that  your family is your best friend.
When you're with a peer for at least 8 hours of the day, that person becomes more like family, and then when you start creating a friend based family, that seems to pull your heart away from your real family that God has given.
Another good thing about homeschooling is that it seems to be a real character builder.
No one knows you better than your family, and no one will be as honest with you as your family, so that can be hard and easy to deal with all day long.
Being with my family so much, I know what types of things I need to work on most because let me tell ya, Kimmi isn't afraid of pointing out my flaws. (but look, I think I just pointed out one of hers.) hehee

I could keep the list going, but this blog post is already so long. hehee :)

But I would definitely tell you that I love being homeschooled in a big family.
I'm so thankful God gave me the family I have, and I feel so blessed!!

I had fun answering your question!!


Ok, so, what about you guys? Do any of my blogger buddies have any opinions about big families or homeschooling?

28 Thoughts:

Lindsay said...

I *heart* big families too, Karis!! Totally agree with everything you said, girl! :)

Anonymous said...

I come from a big family of nine! =D I adore my big family, and I too get lonely fast. I am also home-schooled(well, cyber-schooled now), and am SO grateful for that!
I love my siblings, and having so many is truly preparing me for the future; my future family, work ethic, everything.
I am so glad for all of my siblings because we never had parents with a good marriage, and it ended fast...but our dad grew as a christian and tried his hardest for us(he passed away two years ago). Our mom isn't a great example of a godly women, but at least we have one, and learn true empathy for broken families.

None the less, I am soooo grateful for all of my siblings whom I love to pieces(even on bad days, I must admit ;) ), and I am so glad for the maturity being home schooled(now cyber schooled) has given me. = )

Sounds like you have a beautiful family! Cherish it! =D

Jules(: said...

That's SUPER cool!
I come from a big family also, and it is so amazing. You truly never get bored.

I also love our Spiritual families too, the fact that we are all connected by Christ. I love that!!!!

Katie Wegner said...

I love big families. But that also could be because I was born into a big family =D . Big families are even better when they're Christians.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

I've never actually met someone with more than about 4 siblings, or been homeschooled! I reckon having a big family and being homeschooled is awesome, but I don't quite understand how you meet people outside your family & church. (This isn't meant as a criticism, just a question!) Eventually, we're all going to have to deal with people who aren't Christian and think/behave very differently to us, so why not get used to this kind of thing young, so as to make it less of a shock when the child leaves home?

I love the idea of protecting kids from ungodly influences, but it seems as though kids who are homeschooled miss out on other experiences which help them cope with being an adult in our society.

I could be completely wrong, though - like I said, I've never actually met anyone who's homeschooled so I don't really know what I'm talking about! :)

xox

Emily said...

Wow! That's really neat. :) Thanks for sharing.
Xoxo.

Lulu said...

That's cool! I have six siblings...and one on the way! We are so excited!
Homeschooling ROCKS! And big families rock....and being a CHRISTIAN rocks...oh, it all rocks. Hugs!

Isabella Kiss said...

I'm the oldest of 8, and i was homeschooled 1st grade-12th. Big families are pretty cool; mine is especially cool because my 7 siblings are all adopted(some thru foster care, 3 international).

People frequently ask me if I like having 5 sisters and 2 brothers and I respond "uh...well, not that I know what normal is. I've never lived the average american family with the 2.5 kids." or they say "oh, you are just like the duggars!" (in some ways yes, but no...we aren't quite like the duggars)

But I like the big aspect. Family car trips can be a little intense but other than that I cannot complain. Being the oldest has taught me a LOT of responsibility that most "normal" kids don't have. Good stuff.

And homeschooling is definitely a great option as well. It gave me a lot of freedom to pursue things I wouldn't normally be able to in public school. And I think it made me a stronger individual.

So. Yeah for big, homeschooled families!

Abigail said...

I wish my family was big. But there's only us three girls and my parents. But I am sso truly blessed!
Being homseschooled is much better than scool. I went to a local Christian academy and I liked it, its just that none of the kids were Christians (in my class, anyhow. The kids in my class were NOT good examples!
So my middle sister and I begged to be homeschooled.
A lot of people we knew homeschooled and it seemed much better than school. My mom agreeed to take us out. She and my dad didn't want those infulences rubbing of on us. My parents and my sister are so glad they did! ;) The reason they didn't take my older sister out is 'cause she was going to graduate in a year or two.
Anyhoo, great post!

Giving God the Glory!
~Abby♥

P.S You still haven't e-mailed me that pic of Jessie. Not to be pushy, just sayin. I know you're busy... DOn't rush, dear friend.

Chloë said...

I'm with you all the way! =) Though I don't think there's anything wrong with having a "small" family. (I'm sure you feel the same.)

It's funny - I consider our family to be "medium." There's 5 of us kids altogether. But so many people I talk to are like, "Whoa! You have FOUR siblings?!" I'm like, "Dude, that's nothing! I have friends with nine siblings!!!"

haha... =) Siblings are a blast!

alyssa said...

Karis, girlie, I admire you and ur siblings so much! You guys get along so well and it's so inspiring. I wish my sisters and I would just stop fighting. Though Eve is always telling me how she loves me! :)

I *heart* homeschooling too!
And u will be one dang good momma one day!

loves,alyssa

Frannie said...

Hello! I come from a family of three siblings (including me!) and while I love both of them and they are some of my best friends I must say we wish we had more! :) But I think (or trust) that God has a plan in making our family small because He has shown me how precious each and extra child is. If having two siblings creates good memories, fun times, and a few shoulders to lean on, how much more would 4, 5, or 10 siblings?! As for homeschooling I must say it is the best! I've done almost every schooling possible- homeschool, Christian school, and even public school. I found that homeschooling (if you base it on Christ) creates a safe place for children to be children. What do I love about homeschooling? I'll name a few things- snuggling with Mom in the morning :), memorizing Bible verses, learning about the facts of creationism, being able to have "recess" with my two siblings who are younger than me (public school segregates its grades and that often creates hostility between siblings), learning how to keep a home along with being able to work a math problem, and being able to read GOOD books. I know this is a super long post, but what can I say? I love big families and I love homeschooling! :) God bless!

Melanie Eccles said...

Karis! Thanks so much for responding in such a heartfelt way to my question...and for letting me know about it! :D I really appreciated your post and the other commenters' opinions and I look forward to sharing these perspectives with my husband. I'll stop back again soon to read more comments. :)

Thanks again, friend!
blessings. :D

Kade said...

Big families are the bomb.

And homechooling is the fuse.

Ka-boom.

I've got 7 siblings and 1 on the way. And we rock. Right now, I've got one of them right next to me with one of the headphones in his ear and one in mine; we're maximizing.

Jennifer R said...

This is totally awesome! I myself only have one brother, but as a child i always wanted a large family! I also am homeschooled and so most of my friends have atleast 5 or more siblings! Big families seem like fun! =) Great blog!

Artisan of the Shire said...

What a nice blog! It's so nice to meet you. Yep, I've got six sisters and two brothers (myself being the eldest), so you can imagine how that can be... they're a little crazy, but hey, God is good: He also has a sense of humor!
I was also homeschooled (I'm now in college), and am so grateful to have had God bless me with it and my two wonderful parents who made the commitment to teach us at home. And who says that homeschoolers don't get to do things? Belonging to homeschooling groups (as I have) is a great oppertunity to make life-long friends, get envolved in all sorts of activities, and nourish your Faith and life!
That was my little bit. :) God bless!

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading your posts. I'm from a large family also, but back in my younger days there was no home schooling.

God bless, Lloyd

♥ Kimmi's Korner ♥ said...

I heart Big Families too! Love you Karis!

~Kimmi

Maria said...

Hey!
I love how you said that! I am also from a family of 10 and we also homeschool!
And I agree with you so strongly on the fact that when you have a lot of siblings and by being homeschooled are almost always together, you learn to get along, and they even become your best friends, while so many in schools learn to hate being around there siblings and would rather be alone.
Also, there is a verse in Deuteronomy that I have heard applied to homeschooling, it is a verse about teaching your children "while you walk in the day and while you work". - Definitely one of my favorite verses! :)
Maria

Iona Nicole said...

I really LOVE big families, you wont get bored AT ALL....I think homeschooling is a great choice! I, me, myself, is homeschooled! I love it! It is a very good decision... =)

~Iona

Charity Nee said...

Kade, what a funny comment. Maximize? Sure thing... that's familiar!
Karis: I HEART big families too! There's only 4 of us (we're 'medium' like Chloe said =D) but I would love more siblings...
homeschooling is great!
umm - diaper changing? I think I'm pretty good at that too... I'm SOO much older than my siblings (i'm the oldest), so I've practically 'raised' them... =)
Thanks for posting! That was great!
Hugs,
Chare
P.S. - and thanks for following my blog!! ;)

Covnitkepr1 said...

As many as a couple can afford. I'm a follower of this blog.

Megan said...

GREAT post Karis! Big familys ARE the BESTEST! :)
and so is homeschooling =)

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

God bless your INSIGHT! It is very valuable.
Now you have just taught me something!
I had 4 children of my own and was constantly busy with athletics piano lessions soccer etc....
Now they are all grown up with families of their own and although I see them occassionally, its not the same as being busy with them and for them.
I MISS IT! ...more than I can say.
So....to everyone who may read this. Enjoy the now of where your at...it passes so quickly.
My son Lee-Joel and his wife Cassie and their son Izaiah (Zai) all pictured on my current Blog...
Lee is my baby. I am happy he is a happy grown man, BUT, I miss the baby.
God bless you all.
Crystal Lindsey

Leah Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charity said...

ok, big familys are the bomb!!! we only have 7 kids, but it's still the bomb!!!! ;)

Sarah Tant said...

I love big families they are the greatest!! I have ten brothers and sisters, and I think homeschooling rocks! I have been home school for almost all my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

layout