CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 29, 2010

A Home School Question

Oh those common homeschool questions that we are so very used to hearing!!
I love them! 
I usually think they're pretty darn funny.
My favorite questions when people learn that I'm homeschooled, are:
"Do you get to wear your PJ's all day?"
or
"Is your dad your principal?"
or
"Do you have friends?"
or
"So then you must be real smart, right?"
-(Uuuhh, did any of you notice that I spelled Tagged "Taged" in my last post? That should answer that question!;)
or
"Can you wake up whenever you want?"

*laughs*
The list could go on and on!
(Do any of you have any you'd like to add?;)

 One of my bestest blogger buddies asked me a homeschool question on a previous blog post, 

and it's deeper than most homeschool questions I get, and I'm going to answer it to the best of my ability. :)


Her question was,
"I reckon having a big family and being homeschooled is awesome, but I don't quite understand how you meet people outside your family & church.
(This isn't meant as a criticism, just a question!) 
Eventually, we're all going to have to deal with people who aren't Christian and think/behave very differently to us, so why not get used to this kind of thing young, so as to make it less of a shock when the child leaves home?"



First of all, I have no problem meeting people.
I understand why people would think that's not true though because we do go to school at home. :)

I meet people through activities such as tennis and swimming and I've been in a homeschool group for my whole life, so I feel like I have an abundance of great friends. :) 
Friends are definitely important, but I have built in BFFs right here in my house. :D
I've never been in a clique, and I'm glad to have avoided the "girl drama" that so many gals my age have gone through and are going through now.
There are not many things I hate more than drama! hehee


Now, my friend made the seemingly true point that if we're all of the sudden exposed to the world, then it's going to be such a huge shock.

This semester I'm taking two classes at our local technical college and only on Saturdays while my dad waits for me in the hall. ;D
In a way it's really sad to see all the hopeless people, but I've made friends with my whole class, and they all know for WHOM i stand.

It's been pretty amazing! :)

Yes, it has been shocking!
The blatant anti-christian rhetoric that I have been exposed to this semester has been a pretty big surprise for me, but I feel like I was better prepared at the age I'm at now, as opposed to if I were sent to school at a younger age. 

 Often when parents send their children out in the world before they're ready, the world shapes them and they conform to its patterns.
Roman 12:2

I think if I were put in a school environment from an early age, I would have been more calloused to the hatred toward God and the sad hardened hearts that strongly protest God's greatness.
I guess I am glad that I have been so shocked by and not immune to the rebellion that is so obvious in our culture.  I have compassion for the lost and a desire to communicate the gospel to them.



My parents kept, and are still keeping, me at home so they can shape, sharpen, and mold me into the young woman God calls me to be.
I am so thankful for their protection, and the older I get the more I understand why they protect and prepare us the way they do.
Thanks mom and dad for guarding me like spider monkies! :) *teehee*
So, I would say, yes, it is shocking but
shocking in a very a good way. :)

16 Thoughts:

Lulu said...

Cool! Thanks. BTW, thanks so much for following my blog! I'm glad you read it and *hopefully* like it! LOL.

Zoe said...

Very good post and so very true!

Anonymous said...

I completely get what you mean about being better prepared for the world now that you're older and have firmer beliefs. It makes things sooo much easier!

Thanks so much for answering the question and for not taking it the wrong way (because I'm genuinely curious, not telling you off).

God bless.

xox

♥ Kimmi's Korner ♥ said...

This was good Karis. I'm glad I'm protected too!
Love you!

~Kimmi

Antonia said...

Thank you for posting this. I'm always interested in reading thoughts about homeschooling.
The first time I heard about homeschooling was a year ago. I didn't know that it exists!
Last year I did an "interview" with a friend who’s homeschooled and it was really interesting. It was a list with 23 questions I had about homeschooling. I have a lot of questions, but they are not like "Do you get to wear your PJ's all day?". lol :D
If you are interested I can send you the questions.
In Austria, where I live, people don't know much about homeschooling and I think there are only a couple of pupils who are homeschooled. I think homeschooling isn't possible in Austria, because there aren't books available for homeschooling.
I asked some of my friends if they know homeschooling and they all answered like “Homeschooling? What’s that?” ;)
Thank you a lot for answering the question!

Abigail said...

Okay, let me just say- JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE HOMESCHOOLED DOESN'T MEAN THAT WHEN YOU GO OUT INTO THE WORLD (LIKE AT COLLEGE) THAT IT'S A SHOCK! MY OLDEST SISTER WASN'T EVER HOMSSCHEOOLED, SHE WENT TO A CHRISTIAN SCHOOL, AND IT WAS A SOCK TO HER SYSTEM WHEN SHE WENT TO THE LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE!
Okay, I'm done! =) heehee! But seriously, it's true!

Giving God the Glory!
~Abby♥
P.S I'm emailin' you later!

Kade said...

Uh yeah... your spelling is, uh...
horrible! Haha, I love it!

When you leave comments it's pretty funny to read, 'cause you don't have a spell-check!

Just type gangsta-like, and no one will know the difference!

"Yo dawg, I gotta a question from my homey..."

Hey, that's what I do!

Now, if you don't want to be a gangsta like me, than try this:

If you've got Internet Explorer, there's a spell-check that will check anything you've written. Just look accross from your "google" search down the line a bit, and it should be there. However, on a pop-out comment window (like yours; and mine) it won't work. Sorry.

But hey, I lik yer bad speling!

Kade said...

btw. hows yor promonaiotl video comming? hav you startd on it? Wer gunna relase videoz startin Arpil 1st... soo if u can mak it befor than, that wood be awwsome!





haha, just teasin'!

Alex Johnson said...

Great blog!

I'm also homeschooled and I often am asked questions similar to the ones you've given above.

It's quite funny to see people's reactions when I prove to them that I can communicate. :P

I'd have to agree with you on the subject of 'culture shock' with Christians. I've seen firsthand what can happen when a young Christian or homeschooler is exposed to the harshness our world has to offer at too soon an age, and it's never pretty.

Having gone through the process myself, I can safely say that trusting in the Lord and letting him shine through you is the safest way to approach the matter. Not to mention that it glorifies Him!

Again, great blog. Keep up the work! :)

Jason Hunsicker said...

I was homeschooled from Kindergarten through 4th grade, so I can relate to your sentiments. I myself struggled big time when I went into public school in the 5th grade! It took me a while to adjust socially and academically, but I think a lot of that just had to do with my age...I was almost an early teen by then and was at that "awkward age."

Anyways...I think that as long as you approach homeschooling correctly it can work great! I've known families that use homeschooling as a way to completely separate their children from society, and I think that causes problems. We have to allow our children to interact with other kids their age so that they can develop socially. As long as you do this, I think homeschooling can be very good.

I know one thing I regretted about not being homeschooled for a longer period of time, is that I was never really able to take bible courses in my schooling. By the time I was reaching the age that I would be taking Bible Classes, I was put into public school.

Anyways...sorry I babbled on...I just read this post, and thought I'd put my two cents in.

Rachel said...

Karis,

This post was good ,and no worry , I can dismiss your spelling,thanks for your comments , I luv them ~

Lady June Whimsy said...

My favorite question from my public schooled counterparts is : "So, do you, like, get to eat, like, icecream, like, for breakfast?!"

For the first six years of my education, I was in the public school system, and I've enrolled in the high school orchestra for two years in middle school. It's common practice among homeschoolers in my area of the country to bash kids and families in public schools, which is unfortunate.

Many of my public school friends are unsatisfied by what they get from the schools. In essence, they misbehave because they are bored.

I'm grateful that my parents helped me start homeschooling, but more than that, I'm grateful they haven't sheltered me so much that when I do get out in the general culture again, I'll wilt. Because one of the downsides of Christian Homeschooling is that it produces a hot-house environment for young people. We flourish and grow quickly inside, but once it's time to be planted outside as mature plants, we can't survive because we've never been exposed to the frost and cold.

That's just my thinking about homeschooling.

<3, B

Anonymous said...

I'll share a question that I always got growing up...

"Do you have homework?"

Need I say more? :p

Madison said...

Hey Karis, Thanks for following my blog! I love this post! I'm ask these questions all the time! especially "So do you have *any* friends?" lol

Love it!

-Madison

Covnitkepr1 said...

Home schooling is the best thing since "peanut butter". I think kids are smarter, more prepard to face the world and say "No" to a lot it has to offer that would bring them down.

I support this blog as a follower. Check mine out sometime.

Storm Harms said...

Very well put! As a former homeschooler who now attends a service academy, I would agree that homeschooling, when done right, absolutely works.

I'm new to your blog but I've enjoyed what I've read thus far, thanks for sharing!

layout